What kind of companies/teams I’m looking for
- Companies whose main product line is entirely or partially derived from applied technology research and development.
- Teams composed of bright and collaborative minded individuals.
- Teams that believe they should own and be on call for their production systems.
- A project where I can work on challenging problems.
- Most of my recent work has been on a per-project or contracting basis. I’m now looking for a long term project.
- Experience building distributed applications, services, and scalable cloud architectures.
- Experience hiring and managing high performing engineering teams.
- Hands on experience building web platforms and services
- A tendency to enjoy and excel at complicated technical problems.
- My current main working languages are Go lang and Python. I’m slowly catching with Rust on my spare time. In the past, I have worked most exclusively with Java and C++.
Seatgeek: Staff Software engineer - platform engineering, Dez 2019 - Current
- I’ve migrated our main data storage from Mysql 5.5 -> PostgreSQL 12.x securing and modernizing our middleware data model.
- I’m leading authentication and authorization stack modernization.
- I’m leading runtime performance testing, production tuning and codebase improvements.
Meetup: Staff Software engineer - platform engineering, May 2019 - Dez 2019
- I maintained our internal developer tooling to interface with AWS the tooling provisioned accounts, enforced policies, and created default required resources to communicate with our main account.
- Created a tool/method to automatically track ownership, deployments, CI pipelines, and observability for production systems
Decisiv: Lead Software engineer - data engineering, 2017 - April 2019
- I’ve modernized the data ingestion and data pipeline architectures.
- I created a job scheduler and orchestrator to support custom legacy ETL processes. Also shipped a UI to manage the system.
- I’ve crafted a DAG DSL to define processes and dependencies and reuse code blocks on the new ingestion jobs.
Paternity leave from September 2017 to November 2017
Wattx: CTO in Residence, June 2017 - August 2017
- I wrote a privacy-preserving data proxy implementing differential privacy as defined by Cynthia Dwork, ICALP July 2006
- I created a custom orchestrator for generating synthetic databases.
Dentolo: Interim CTO - contract, January 2017 - April 2017
- I delivered three new projects: A customer acquisition tool in React/Redux, a workflow and state machine for dental treatment classification in Ruby on Rails, and a patient API to integrate with insurance brokers.
Applift: Director of Engineering, 2016
- I was responsible for the engineering management of 7 developers, hiring, technology KPIs, and architecture decisions together with the team.
- I was responsible for implementing architecture changes that directly impacted production uptime and stability, reducing outages and latency variance considerably.
Trecker: Sr. Software Engineer, October 2015 - February 2016
- I extracted and optimized the event position API, which handled many clients simultaneously to keep tracking of mobile devices’ location.
- I’ve implemented background processes to categorized and classify each time and position based on specific tasks the mobile operator was performing.
- I’ve remodeled our data store from discrete chunks of time to a continuous stream of events, which was a crucial improvement to simplify data classification and summarization.
- I’ve also implemented a series of filters to smooth GPS data and interpolate missing coordinates.
BrasilCT: Director of Technology, 2014 - 2015
- Managed a team of 26 engineers split into 4 teams, which included infrastructure and development.
- Delivered a B2B e-commerce platform, a payment processor for loyalty programs, and several internal systems
- Implanted Level 1 PCI compliance in 7 months.
elo7.com: Lead software engineer - Search, 2012 - 2013
- First senior hire responsible for shaping the new team and professionalize the software development area.
- Accumulated infrastructure and SRE duties until the infra team was assembled.
- Lead the application and infrastructure migration from colocation to AWS.
- Later, I focused my efforts on the search architecture, implementing a search API to handle asynchronous indexing and sharding indexes across several Solr instances.
- Implemented an optimization on Solr indexes to increase product discoverability.
- Replaced the entire category, home, and feature products architecture with faceted queries on Solr.
- Implemented a custom Portuguese stemmer and spelling corrector to improve product content quality and discoverability.
- Implemented a system to manage custom ranking criteria.
- I presented a few tools and techniques for this project at QCON Sao Paulo - 2013
R7: Lead software Architect, 2011
- In charge of architecture and development of a web content publishing system.
- I had heavy ownership of tech direction and influence on cultural change, advocating lean techniques.
Locaweb: Software Engineer specialist, 2010
- I’ve delivered an online backup scheduler and management system and developed a SaaS e-commerce platform using Ruby on Rails.
Globo.com: Sr. Software Engineer, May 2008 - 2009
I spend my first six months with the CMS platform team taming their multi-services distributed architecture; then I joined the new web semantics team to implement a new approach for the entire portal using web semantic concepts. We’ve developed internal knowledge extractors and classifiers to increment news relevance.
Redhat: Sr. Software Engineer, 2007 - 2008
- I worked on the Drools R&D team as one of the core developers of the Guvnor project, which is a centralized repository for Drools Knowledge Base.
- I also helped to integrate Drools core into the ESB/SOA platform, and I also engaged in onsite Drools training for customers in Brazil.
Solvo S/A: Software Developer, 2006
- Implemented a backward-compatible and open source IBM Open Class replacement using the C++ standard library to support old projects on their way to an AIX upgrade.
- Integration between legacy systems, JVM Tuning and Performance consultant for different projects
Netcom Systems: Junior Software Developer, 2005
- I’ve modeled and implemented a system specialist in network protocol analysis and traffic control.
- I’ve implemented collectors and summarizers to process Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) statistics and store in an RRD a per IP database of internal network load by services.
SPCOM: Junior Software Developer, 2004
- Implemented a web component using C++ to interface with the Siemens HiPath PABX to allow call center operators to control inbound and outbound calls only via the scripting application.
- Implemented several features in house and customers’ financial and insurance web apps using Java J2EE
University of London - BSc Computer Science (Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence) (online) - I’ve transferred a good portion of my past credits, and I’m taking the courses to complete my degree.
Universidade de São Paulo - USP, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
B.Sc. Applied Mathematics, 2013 - 2014: Before moving to Germany, I took the following courses during three semesters: Discrete Mathematics, Real and Complex analysis, Single and Multivariate Calculus, Probability and Statistics, Mathematics modeling, and Linear algebra.
Universidade Estadual do Oeste do Paraná - UNIOESTE, Foz do Iguaçu, Paraná, Brazil B.Sc. Computer Science, 2001 - 2004 (dropped out in the next to last semester)